Friday, October 8, 2010

Orchids! (that's where the name Aerides came from)

It might be Fall, technically, but in South Florida it's just barely dipping under 80 - my orchids tend to bloom mostly over these next few months - here are some that are making an appearance.

Aerides is a species of orchid, also known as the cats tail orchid. The literal translation is "Of the Air" and I kind of like the sound of that.

Here's a couple of shots from around the garden:

First up Brass. Nodosa - a lovely fragrant white flower that blooms for me a few times a year:
I picked up this large vanda (it's about 4' tall) at a show, very cheap, this past winter. It's not labeled but I'm very happy with the first blooms - lovely big and dark purple reds.

You can show me all the fancy species, but these simple white dendrobiums get me every time. Love the pink accents on the tips.


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous!!! My father raised orchids for many years. I keep a small collection myself & just love them!

    ReplyDelete